Friday, June 26, 2009

Long live the King?


Like you, I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that Mr. Jackson (if you're nasty?) is dead. I know, I know, he may or may not have done some awful things in his life, but since I'll never know the truth, I'm just going to withhold judgment. That's between him and the Maker now.

Anyway, back to the more important matter at hand: me! Clicheed as it may sound, his music really was the soundtrack to my childhood, heck my life until he seemed to drop off the music-making planet.

But it wasn't the MJ you're thinking of. When I was little, living in Dubai, cassette tapes were REALLY cheap, due to the fact that they were pirated. An album would set you back about 7 dirhams, about a buck-fifty. SADLY, on the day I went to Thompson Music to buy my copy of "Bad," they were sold out, and only had, wait for it... wait for it... the Chipmunks version.

Hence, my memories of Beat it and Billie Jean are in an ever higher register than Mr. Jackson could ever have hoped to achieve. Still great though. I managed to find a version here. Take a listen. And may he rest in peace.

-x-

aarti

No comments:

 
all text and photographs on aartilla the fun © 2005-2009 Aarti Sequeira unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.