Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Episode 7 is up. This week: cumin/coriander/amchur (dried mango powder) dusted cauliflower, roasted and topped with a dollop of limey yogurt. We used three different kinds of cauliflower: purple, orange and green (romanesco)!
Roasted Cauliflower Steaks
3 medium cauliflower heads, stripped of leaves and stalk chopped off
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp amchur (dried mango powder)
salt and pepper
1 cup low fat greek yoghurt
zest from one lime
splash extra virgin olive oil
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit/180 degrees celsius
2) Slice cauliflower down the middle, then slice as many 1-inch steaks as you can (you'll probably get two). Separate the rest into florets. Do the same with the other head of cauliflower.
3) Line a baking sheet with wax paper. Brush a little oil over the paper so the cauliflower doesn't stick.
4) Place "steaks" and florets on the baking sheet.
5) In a small bowl, combine oil, cumin powder, coriander powder and mango powder with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper. Brush over cauliflower with pastry brush. Drizzle over florets and toss to coat.
6) Roast for 20 minutes or until tender and crisped around the edges.
7) In another small bowl, combine yogurt with lime zest, a splash of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lime (as much as you like).
8) Serve steaks with a dollop of yogurt on the side. Eat and discover cauliflower's nutty, smoky goodness!