Friday, October 24, 2008

Portrait of a Present


My dear friend Alex Scarlis has known me since freshman year, when I thought he was hot and he thought I was... loud. Apart from both being gorgeous (I mean, look at his headshot. Ooof!) we have a lot of other stuff in common: a passion for international news, a passion for Indian women (ha!) and of course, a passion for Brendan McNamara.

Leave it to my considerate friend to drop by this week and give me a fantastic birthday present:



It's me!

Well, of course you knew that.

But, even better, now we have a matching set!



Alex gave Bren his portrait on Bren's birthday. What a great idea, huh? I can't believe he found the same Venice boardwalk artist to do mine. Thankyou Alex!

It makes me think of "The Picture of Dorian Gray," one my favourite books of all time.


"How sad it is! I shall grow old, and horrid, and dreadful. But this picture will remain always young. It will never be older than this particular day of June. . . . If it was only the other way! If it was I who were to be always young, and the picture that were to grow old! For this--for this--I would give everything! Yes, there is nothing in the whole world I would not give!"




I can't say I'm AS obsessed with my youth as Dorian was, but I wouldn't complain if our real-life visages stayed just the way they are, whilst our portraits wrinkled and sagged. Ha!




-x-

aarti

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that story too! The black and white movie they did way back when was great as well did you ever see? You two are immortal! Your friend is very talented.

sbfl said...

What awesome gifts! So lucky! ps- send my best to Alex next time you see him! -stef

rustyboy said...

These. Are. Brilliant.

Oh, Scarlis, who knew you were such a sentimental sap!

bodaat said...

What a great present!!

 
all text and photographs on aartilla the fun © 2005-2009 Aarti Sequeira unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.