Monday, September 15, 2008

The Un-named Salad



I know you're waiting with bated breath for the next installment of the Burning Man saga.

However, that's going to take more work than I'm willing to do at 10:37pm. Sooooo, I thought I'd share a yummy salad I made the other night, based on something I saw in a magazine a little while ago. I haven't decided what to call it yet, so for now, it's the Un-named salad. Should you have a cute name for it though, I'll take it!

It's seriously delicious, and so easy... um, even a caveman could do it.

I can't believe I said that. I blame the hour.

I made this salad the other night, to go alongside some grilled fish (with zatr! yum!) and roasted fennel.


THE UN-NAMED SALAD!

Dressing (enough for a couple of salads!):
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 a lemon (or to taste)
A splash of water
Salt and pepper

Salad stuff:
1/4 cup pistachios, shelled and toasted in a small skillet for a few minutes
1 big tomato (I used a brandywine), diced
1/2 big English cucumber, or a couple of the Persian kind, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
Handful of fresh mint, chopped
1/3 handful of fresh parsley, chopped
Salt and pepper

1) Whisk the dressing ingredients together. Taste and season accordingly. I like it a bit tangy, so I used a bit more lemon juice. Keep in mind that the dressing will draw some of the juices out of the tomato so it'll get a bit more watery.

2) Toast your pistachios, if you haven't already. Don't let them burn!

3) Toss the tomato, cucumber, avocado and herbs into a bowl with a light sprinkling of salt. Let it sit for a few minutes (I find this takes out the "raw" flavour a bit).

4) Add a few tablespoons of the dressing, toss with your hands. Sprinkle with pistachios, taste and season. Then serve!

This could also do with some nice soft goat's cheese too now I think of it.

Here's what our meal looked like the other night. I was mighty pleased with myself because it only took about 35 minutes to get it all together (I am a horribly slow cook I realize).



What do you think?

-x-
aarti

5 comments:

Rosesq said...

How about "Arabian Medley"?? It has many Arabic tones to it. I think a dash of Sumac would be nice as well. What do you think??

Mum

sarah said...

Mmmmmmmmmmm. That looks so good.
I forgot breakfast today and I'm starving.

elizabeth said...

that looks delicious!

aartilla the fun said...

mum sumac is a great idea! i don't have any so maybe i'll use some zatr instead -- i think that has sumac in it...

Rosesq said...

Check this one out -

http://www.cuisine.co.nz/index.cfm?pageID=17077

 
all text and photographs on aartilla the fun © 2005-2009 Aarti Sequeira unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.