Thursday, July 30, 2009

Aarti Paarti Ep. 21: Peanut Noodles for Miss Piggy!


When I was little, Dad called me Miss Piggy. I think there was something about her, um, "pleasantly plump" build, and her playful pride that reminded Dad of lil' ol' me. Somewhere around the age of 11, I lost that pride, and became painfully self-conscious, lacking a vat of self-esteem (a battle I still struggle through today I'm afraid). The pleasantly plump thing stuck around... the pride went out the window. Ugh! Ah, for a pubescant switch-a-roo!

Anyway, I digress. I have always had a soft spot for Miss Piggy. There's something about the way her snout moves, her fierce semi-obsessive love for Kermie, her ability to drop-kick anyone that gets in her way...

But, believe it or not, I had never seen the Muppet Movie. The one created in the year of my birth! And so we just HAD to get a bunch of friends together to go watch an outdoor screening of the Muppet Movie at Hollywood Forever, a famous LA cemetary where luminaries of old glam Hollywood (Cecil B. Demille, Jayne Mansfield, Rudolph Valentino, Douglas Fairbanks...) have been laid to rest. No, honestly, it's not creepy! The event is managed by Cinespia, and they show movies all summer long. So. cool.

I decided to make a big batch of peanut noodles to bring to the picnic -- a great option because it feeds a ton of people for just a few dollars. It's also great at any temperature, particularly when they're cold, which is great for a hot, summery day. And, with a bunch of raw veggies, and a crisp salty-sweet cucumber salad, you don't have to feel guilty about scarfing down noodles covered in peanut butter. I must say that I worked on this peanut sauce recipe over and over, until I managed to get one that packs a wallop; most recipes I've tried yield a sallow, wimpy sauce that gets even wimpier once you pour it over the noodles. This one is bold, fierce and unapologetic -- kinda like a certain porky heroine I love dearly.

Thanks to Bren for shooting everything so lovingly, and to every one of my friends who made it out. A special thankyou to those who tried to get in, but were turned away at the door, because the cemetary was filled to capacity. Sorry guys!



Peanut Noodles for Miss Piggy

With "pickled" cucumber salad and pan-fried sesame chicken

For cucumber salad:
1 large cucumber, sliced thin on a mandoline or by hand
Sugar
Salt
Rice vinegar

For the chicken
2 chicken breasts (pounded thin)
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp sriracha hot sauce
1 tbsp honey

For the peanut sauce:
1 cup chunky peanut butter (not the natural kind)
1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
6 tbsp ginger, minced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp sriracha
1 tbsp brown sugar or honey
1 tsp sesame oil (plus more drizzling)
Handful cilantro
1 cup hot strong black tea
2 red bell peppers, sliced thinly
1 bunch thin asparagus, cut into 1" pieces
Juice from 1 lime
1lb thin spaghetti

1) The night before: Mix chicken marinade ingredients. Toss chicken in the marinade and let it sit overnight in the fridge.

2) The next day, set a big pot of water to boil. For cucumber salad: Sprinkle a little sugar and salt over the cucumbers. Drizzle with a little rice vinegar. Taste and adjust seasoning as you like. Let it sit in the fridge while you prep the rest of it.

3) Warm a cast iron skillet over medium heat, swirling a tablespoon of vegetable or canola oil in the pan. When it's shimmering, add the chicken breasts, and don't move them. Let them cook about 5 minutes, then flip and turn the heat down. Cook until thermometer registers 160 degrees. (If this takes too long, throw a lid on the pan for a couple of minutes. They should cook faster this way).

3) Drop spaghetti into boiling water, and cook until al dente, according to package instructions. Meanwhile, throw peanut butter, sesame seeds (reserve 1 tbsp for garnish), ginger, garlic, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, sriracha, brown sugar/honey, sesame oil, cliantro and tea into a big food processor. Whiz 'em up until the sauce is smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.

4) Toss veggies with a little sauce in a separate bowl. Drain cooked pasta, and then drizzle with a little sesame oil. Toss with a pair of tongs. This will help keep the pasta from sticking.

5) Slice chicken thinly. In a big bowl, toss pasta, veggies, reserved sesame seeds, freshly squeezed lime juice and sauce together. Serve with chicken and cucumber salad on the side, alongside with a full serving of the Muppet Movie!


-x-

aarti

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Aarti...I think this is a super winner!

Anonymous said...

can't wait to try it! :)

Lonely Foodie said...

That. Was awesome.

Was that Amy Poehler with prosciutto in her mouth?

Anyway, I have made peanut noodles many a time (just made some on Monday) and even though it's always good, I never seem to strike the perfect balance between too bland and mouth-searingly astringent (I think I use too much lime and ginger). I am eager to try your version, especially with the addition of tea (instead of regular old warm water). Also, I notice that when you say sriracha you aren't using the squirt bottle...is it the chili-garlic version that you use?

AND (yes, there's more), I am so glad season 3 has started. I'm doing my part and sharing your site with friends that I think will appreciate you!

Yay!

aartilla the fun said...

thanks guys!

lo-fo: i know what you mean. i often use too much ginger, and it's trouble all over. hahaha. oh and yes, it's the same chili garlic sauce... i just happened to find it in a screw-top jar, that i'm realising i've had for YEARS. i love that stuff. i would actually use more but i know bren probably couldn't handle it.

thankyou so much for telling your friends about me! i am so flattered!!!

(Whitney) said...

love love love this site!
but can you recommend for this recipe particularly a veggie substitute for the chicken?

aartilla the fun said...

hi whitney! i'm so glad that you like this site. it's my baby!

yes of course -- i would use tofu. i'm not sure whether you need to marinate it overnight because tofu seems to absorbs flavour so quickly. let me know how it turns out!

-x-

Jan Holt said...

Aarti,

You are so beautiful!!! I watch your shows and think how graceful and poised you are always, even when you are being deliberately goofy!

I can't wait to try this recipe.... it looks delish.

Later gator,

Jan

aartilla the fun said...

oh thankyou so much jan! that is so sweet of you!

kuv told me you and your loved ones are going through some rough times. i hope that things are going a little better.

-x-

aartilla the fun said...

oh and lo-fo -- it wasn't amy poehler, but how funny that you should say that! i'm going to tell my friend that! she'll totally get a kick out of it. i WISH i could hang out with amy poehler!

 
all text and photographs on aartilla the fun © 2005-2009 Aarti Sequeira unless otherwise indicated. All rights reserved.