Saturday, April 12, 2008
Sorry to have kept y'all waiting!
The verdict is: awesome flavour, but the texture needs work. It could be that I overchurned it (since I'm using my friend Ross' machine, I don't have the manual), or it could be that since it's made from buttermilk and not cream, there's not enough fat to make it creamy. Not sure.
Oooh, but it does taste good. It sort of tastes like a creamcicle (sp?) with a little chewy banana in there. Next time, I'm going to add the banana post-churning, so that the pieces remain chunky; I feel like since both buttermilk and orange are pretty tangy, it needs something to round it out, which big, chunky sweet pieces of banana might accomplish... I also think I could use less sugar next time. I'd also like to try it with brown sugar and see if that makes a difference to the texture.
So exciting! As a former (but not reformed) fat kid, there is no bigger luxury IN THE WORLD than being able to make a batch of your own ice cream, whenever you want! HA!
Anyway, here is the recipe in case you'd like to try it yourself:
Buttermilk-Blood Orange-Caramelized Banana Ice Cream
1 banana, sliced thinly
a little butter (optional)
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup sugar (maybe less depending on your taste)
Zest of one small blood orange
A squeeze of blood orange juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
1) heat a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat
2) add the banana slices and allow to brown. if you like, add a little butter to the pan to enhance the caramelization (i added the butter after a few minutes tho). flip the slices to brown the other side. your kitchen should smell unbelievable at this point!
3) in a large bowl, whisk the buttermilk, sugar, blood orange zest and vanilla extract. whisk until just combined. taste and if you like, add some blood orange juice.
4) place banana slices on a plate. transfer banana and ice cream mixture to the fridge to chill thoroughly, about 2 hours
5) churn according to your machine's instructions and then freeze.
i can't wait to try something wicked exciting (read: FULL FAT!) for bren's birthday! i'm sure it'll be full of weird combos of ingredients, knowing bren.
oh, and ThANKYOU Ross for letting me use the machine!
at 11:30 PM